PANCREAZE is a prescription medicine used to treat people who cannot digest food normally because their pancreas does not make enough enzymes due to cystic fibrosis or other conditions. PANCREAZE may help your body use fats, proteins, and sugars from food.
What is the most important information I should know about PANCREAZE?
PANCREAZE may increase your chance of having a serious, rare bowel disorder called fibrosing colonopathy that may require surgery. The risk of having this condition may be reduced by following the dosing instructions that your healthcare provider gave you.
Take PANCREAZE exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more or less PANCREAZE than directed by your doctor.
Call your doctor right away if you have any unusual or severe stomach area (abdominal) pain, bloating, trouble passing stool (having bowel movements), nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
What should I tell my doctor before taking PANCREAZE?
Tell your doctor if you:
- are allergic to pork (pig) products
- have a history of blockage of your intestines, or scarring or thickening of your bowel wall (fibrosing colonopathy)
- have gout, kidney disease, or high blood uric acid (hyperuricemia)
- have trouble swallowing capsules
- have any other medical condition
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
What are the possible side effects of PANCREAZE?
PANCREAZE may cause serious side effects, including:
- A rare bowel disorder called fibrosing colonopathy
- Irritation of the inside of your mouth. This can happen if PANCREAZE is not swallowed completely
- Increase in blood uric acid levels. This may cause worsening of swollen, painful joints (gout) caused by an increase in your blood uric acid levels
- Allergic reactions including trouble with breathing, skin rashes, or swollen lips
The most common side effects include pain in your stomach (abdominal pain) and gas.
These are not all the side effects of PANCREAZE. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that bothers you or does not go away. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch. You may also report side effects to VIVUS, Inc. at 1-888-998-4887.
How do I take PANCREAZE?
- Do not crush or chew the PANCREAZE capsules or their contents, and do not hold the capsule or contents in your mouth. Take PANCREAZE exactly as your doctor tells you. Read the Medication Guide for directions on how to give PANCREAZE to adults and children (children older than 12 months).
- Read the Medication Guide for directions on how to give PANCREAZE to infants (children up to 12 months).
Please read the PANCREAZE Medication Guide and PANCREAZE Product Information and discuss any questions you have with your doctor.
References: 1. PANCREAZE Full Prescribing Information. Campbell, CA: VIVUS, Inc; 2020. 2. Pezilli R, et al. Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in adults: A shared position statement of the Italian association for the study of the pancreas. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19 (44):7930-7946. 3. Lindkvist B. Diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19(42):7258-7266. 4. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (n.d.). About Cystic Fibrosis. Retrieved from https://www.cff.org/What-is-CF/About-Cystic-Fibrosis/ 5. Struyvenberg MR, et al. Practical guide to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency - breaking the myths. BMC Med. 2017;15(1):29. 6. Othman MO, et al. Introduction and practical approach to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency for the practicing clinician. Int J Clin Pract. .2018;72:e13066. 7. The National Pancreas Foundation (n.d.). About Chronic Pancreatitis. Retrieved from https://pancreasfoundation.org/patient-information/chronic-pancreatitis/ 8. CREON® Full Prescribing Information. Chicago, IL: Abvie, Inc; 2015 . 9. PERTZYE® Full Prescribing Information. Bethlehem, PA: Digestive Care, Inc; 2017. 10. ULTRESA® Full Prescribing Information. Bridgewater, NJ: Aptalis Pharma US, Inc; 2011. 11. VIOKACE™ Full Prescribing Information. Birmingham, AL: Allergan USA, Inc; 2012. 12. ZENPEP® Full Prescribing Information. Irvine, CA: Allergan USA, Inc; 2017.